[Sca-cooks] Books for Cooks at British Library

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 15:55:27 PST 2005

The first recipe I looked at was one of my favorites from A Boke of Kokery, Garbage.
I only found one glaring error:
Boke of Kokery - Garbage
Take faire Garbage, chikenes hedes, ffete, lyvers, And gysers, and wassh hem clene; caste hem into a faire potte, And caste fressh broth of Beef, pouder of Peper, Canell, Clowes, Maces, Parsely and Sauge myced small; then take brede, stepe hit in the same brothe, Drawe hit thorgh a streynour, cast thereto, And lete boyle ynowe; caste there-to pouder ginger, vergeous, salt, And a littul Saffereon, And serve hit forthe.
About this source
This page includes recipes for 'garbage' (offal), and for Pork or chicken with sage.

Translation

Take good Garbage (giblets), chikens' heads, feet, livers, And gizzards, and wash them clean; caste them into a nice pot, And caste fresh broth of Beef, powder of Pepper, Canell (cinnamon), Cloves, Mace, Parsley and Sage minced small; then take bread, steep it in the same broth, Draw it through a strainer, cast thereto, And let boil enough; caste there-to powder ginger, vergeous (sour apple juice), salt, And a little Saffron, And serve it forth.

The error?  The modern spelling is verjuice, and it is sour juice, preferably sour GRAPE juice.

Mordonna

Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:
Ok, this is worth bookmarking, folks.

British Library has an online display up on
Books for Cooks
http://www.bllearning.co.uk/live/text/cookery/

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc