[Sca-cooks] Re: Flaming Subtleties (was Piecrust revisited, was,Books for Cooks)

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Thu Mar 10 19:46:27 PST 2005

Phlip wrote:

> Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
> > Silly me.  Must have been hanging about with
> > blacksmith-types too long.  I would think that
> > all of those things would be easy to set a-flame.
> >
> > Samrah
> >
> > Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
> > <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
> >
> > [snipped}
> >
> > Since what was served at the clearing of the tables
> > appears to have been spices/comfits, fruit and
> > spiced wine, that could be a dessert. But hard to
> > set on fire, I'd think.
>
> Trust me, with enough heated brandy, ANYTHING can be
> set on fire ;-)

What is the earliest date they were they able to control
the temperature accurately enough to get 86 proof (or
higher) brandy?

Over 2,000 years ago, the Greeks knew of distillation,
but were unable to get alcohol from wine because they
brought the liquid to a boil too rapidly.

Even though L. Sprague deCamp's "Lest Darkness Fall"
had a solution to that question, we don't allow that
written work to be counted as 'documentation'.

> Saint Phlip,
> CoD,
> Blacksmith, and facilitator for Avraham's Flaming Cherries

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

Visit my online gallery: Renderosity, a 3D Artist's Community
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

So much wisdom and knowledge -- so little time and bandwidth.

"Thou plenty hast, yet me dost scant"
--John Dowland (1562-1626); "The First Booke of Songs"; 1597.

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
--inspired by P. K. Dick