[Sca-cooks] Re: Books for Cooks at British Library

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Fri Mar 11 10:23:50 PST 2005

Dear Master A, et. al,

Before you all get your shorts in a knot over this translation of
Forme of Cury, I'd just like to say that whoever their translator is,
he or she is carrying over errors made by Samuel Pegge in 1780.

For example, the translation of ew ardant as hot water was made in
his footnote.

Greg Lindahl & I have webbed a facsimile of this page at
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/foc/FoC127small.html
Pegge's entire Forme of Cury can be found at http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/foc/

Also, Pegge's Forme of Cury has been transcribed by the good folks of
Project Gutenberg and can be found at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/etext05/8cury10.txt

See also: http://culinaryhistory.org/ for a project to establish an
online searchable library of old culinary works. Help wanted -- hint,
hint.

I think the British Library is to be applauded for their efforts &
encouraged to do more. Please keep your comments polite & supportive.

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow