[Sca-cooks] Cries of London

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Mon Mar 14 16:43:02 PST 2005

kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

> I'm not sure where the Street Cries thread started,

About 7 messages along in the "OT mail question" when
Stefan observed that he had preloaded the Florilegium
with solutions to our SPAM issue in his punishments-msg
file.

In my response to M'Lord Stefan, I nudged it a little
further along when I asked if they had SPAM (unwanted
messages) in period

    ... and Lo!

	... an OT thread was redeemed and became On Topic.

> but I thought some might be interested to read a
> Renaissance shopping list in the form of a song :)
> Christianna
>
> Thomas Morley <../literature/courtmusicians.html>

Uuummmm, sorry but my browser didn't understand that '../'
part, could you say that again, but perhaps just a little
bit more slowly?  <g>

> took the equivalent of a Renaissance tape recording of
> the market in a piece that is made up of the cries.*

Thanks ...

> The words are:

... Wonderful.

[snip]

Here is another kind of 'recipe',

"Thrice tosse these Oaken ashes in the ayre",
by Thomas Campion;
http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/oakenash.htm

If you or anyone you know has an interest in either

	Middle English literature (1350-1485) or
	http://www.luminarium.org/medlit/

	Sixteenth Century Renaissance English Literature
	(1485-1603)
	http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/

I suggest a visit to Luminarium ... with 35 authors
represented
http://www.luminarium.org/

As an example,

Elizabeth I
"Speech to the Troops at Tilbury"

Which begins,

	My loving people,

	We have been persuaded by some that are careful
	of our safety, to take heed how we commit our
	selves to armed multitudes, for fear of treachery;
	but I assure you I do not desire to live to
	distrust my faithful and loving people.

And also some words that speak even to our own time,

	I know I have the body but of a weak and feeble
	woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king,
	and of a king of England too, and think foul scorn
	that ... or any prince of Europe, should dare to
	invade the borders of my realm;

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

"Thou plenty hast, yet me dost scant"
--John Dowland (1562-1626); "The First Booke of Songs"; 1597.

So much wisdom and knowledge -- so little time and bandwidth.

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
--inspired by P. K. Dick

Visit my online gallery: Renderosity, a 3D Artist's Community
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD