[Sca-cooks] puff pastry

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Mar 16 10:19:09 PST 2005

Also sprach Irmgart:
>OK... I have no idea even where to start with finding the answer to
>this, so i thought I'd ask all of you educated cook type peoples ^_~
>
>Is puff pastry or a technique similar to puff pastry period?
>
>My gut instinct is "no." It has the feel of frou frou 19th c. French
>cooking to me, but I haven't done any deep research into it (I've
>googled but only spent about 20 min looking)
>
>Thanks!

There's a more-or-less-recognizable puff pastry recipe under that
name in Sir Hugh Plat's Delightes for Ladies, IIRC, which would put
it no later than the late-16th-early-17th centuries. There may also
be similar recipes in The Usual Suspects for the time period, Markham
and Digby. It's almost certainly at least as old in France, and may
have Arabic or Andalusian antecedents that are considerably older.

HTH,

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782