[Sca-cooks] Allergens (was Re: Cinnamon question)

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Fri Mar 18 11:14:54 PST 2005

On Mar 18, 2005, at 2:03 PM, <kingstaste at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Well, as it happens, I am working on a lecture about grains for a class
> tomorow, and I was literally looking at a website of corn derivatives
> about
> 15 minutes ago.  http://www.cornallergens.com/list.htm
> This is an extensive list of corn products, along with products that
> can
> contain corn.  It does not mention cinnamon or spices, although the
> list is
> about as long as your arm, and many, many, many of the derivatives do
> not
> use the word "corn" in their name.  It also mentions that some
> products can
> contain corn derivatives and not have them appear on the label, but I
> didn't
> dig too deeply into what, when, where, etc.
> So, reading the label is a good idea, but knowing what you are reading
> is
> also important.

I'm well aware of how difficult it can be for people with allergies to
avoid certain foods (my lady-wife used to be allergic to milk protein),
but some of the items on this list got me wondering ... and this may be
opening a can of worms better left sealed, but here goes ...

When something like vinegar is initially made from corn, the resulting
product has been purified and distilled.  How much of the allergenic
proteins (or whatnot) are present in the final form?

- Doc