[Sca-cooks] "sturdy" marzipan recipe

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 20 10:05:57 PST 2005

Thanks for sending this to me Johnna.  It gave me a reason to get back on
this list and say hi to all.  It seemed to have gotten so overwheming with
mundane and new world stuff I just jumped off without saying anything.

As for a sturdier marzipan, I have found noted in a few places (I can dig
them up if you like, I think Brears book has one and To the -----'s Taste
has also, cann't recall which, and somewhere else too) that if you want your
marzipan a little stiffer then you can add some gum tragicanth (sp?) and
some icing sugar with some rosewater.  Basically, it amounts to adding
sugarplate.  When I do this, it ends up being referred to (around here) as
marzi-plate.  Works great!  The working time of the sugarplate is very small
window, when some is mixed with marzipan it really extends the working time
and ends up drying very stiff.  I must warn though, if you mix the
sugarplate up and add it to the marzipan or even if you start with just
adding the raw ingredients then the mix to a thorough inclusion takes
forever!