[Sca-cooks] Keeping Lent

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Sun Mar 20 15:29:46 PST 2005

Well today is the first Sunday of Passion Week: Palm Sunday. The season
of Lent is over. (Not that it matters for our purposes.)

Last week I had little time for cooking, so I just avoided meat and
dairy products.

On Monday, I ate at a Lebanese restaurant, they had a vegetarian platter
that fit the bill, I just had to ask them to leave the feta out of the
salad. Tuesday, I ate left over veggies (butter beans, squash and
onions, green beans) from what I cooked over the weekend. Wednesday was
dinner at church. I skipped the meatloaf and just had the white,
paste-like substance that was supposed to be mashed potatoes and field
peas. The mashed potatoes were not good enough to have any real dairy in
them, but if they did, they constituted their own penance. I am fairly
sure that there was some ham used to flavor the field peas, but that did
not occur to me until afterwards.  Thursday I was meeting with a large
number of my students. It took some repeating, but I finally got Papa
Johns to deliver a thin crust veggie pizza with no cheese (along with
the other pizzas.) I figured I would have the leftovers, but it was
devoured.  Friday I ate at a nice new Italian restaurant in
Lawrenceville. I had eggplant sauted in olive oil and served with lemon
and capers (the special that evening). It was served with a salad (no
cheese) a side of sauted spinach and garlic, and a side of spaghetti
with a tomato and basil sauce.  Yesterday I finished off the veggies
from last Sunday.

Lunches varied from salads to fruit, with hummus and pita bread taking
the place of my occasional cheese and crackers. I did play with some of
the salads and dressings provided in the Saxon cooking book I got via
the SCA bookstore. Very tasty. I had hoped to make the vegetarian
cabbage soup that I based on recipes in the Domostroi, but ended up
without the time. Oh, on Friday afternoon, a friend was defending his
thesis. His family and friends provided home made Vietnamese food. One
dish was chopped shrimp molded around sugar cane sticks and grilled. I
couldn't remember what the decision on shrimp was, with regards the
medieval observances, but I went with the modern interpretation that it
was fish, and thus acceptable. (It was VERY acceptable! )

Under the recent traditions, I gave up fried food during the season of
Lent, with the intent (encouraged by my doctors) to continue limiting
them from here on. I was amazed how many things I never considered were
fried. (by which I mean deep fried, though that is a bit of a silly
distinction.) Tortilla chips were one that I had not actually considered.

Cheers!
Aoghann