[Sca-cooks] Cassia vs. "True" Cinnamon (was Cinnamon question)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 20 20:59:35 PST 2005

Brekke mentioned:
> in re your locally available cinnamon sticks, if they're very thin and
> flaky, they're probably true cinnamon.  If they're fairly thick,
> they're probably Cassia.  True cinnamon has a milder, less hot flavor
> than cassia, with a little more clove note.  Cassia is harsher and
> hotter.

I've skipped some digests which came in while I was off at Gulf Wars,
so I missed what the initial questions were here. However, perhaps
these two files in the Florilegium might be of interest here:
cinnamon-msg      (27K)  9/14/04    Period cinnamon. Types of cinnamon.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/cinnamon-msg.html
Cinnamon-Vari-art  (9K) 12/29/99    "Cinnamon Varieties" by Francesco
Sirene.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/Cinnamon-Vari-art.html

Stefan
--------