[Sca-cooks] Sugar beets

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 21 12:09:10 PST 2005

Sugar cane was encountered in India by Alexander's general, Nearchus, around
325 BCE.  By 500 CE, it was growing and being refined in Mesopotamia.  While
it is uncertain whether or not it was brought into the Mediterranean region
before the Islamic expansion, the cultivation was definite spread by Islamic
cultures.  Medieval and Renaissance sugar was cane sugar.

Bear