[Sca-cooks] Sugar beets

SEBD at aol.com SEBD at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 12:20:31 PST 2005

Admantius writes:

My  lady wife complains of the subset of Cantonese-style cooking to be
>  found in Hong Kong: "Those people put sugar in EVERYTHING!!!" (Her
>  family is probably from a whacking great 40 miles away to the north
> of  Hong Kong. ;-) )

Your lady wife is correct, judging by most  of the Cantonese recipes I've
ever read or cooked from. In twenty years, I don't  think I have seen a Cantonese
stir-fried recipe that doesn't contain sugar.  Steamed items without sauces
don't generally have a sugar component, but  everything else seems to.

It's probably OK, overall. They  don't eat the calorie laden desserts some
Westerners consume.

Best,

Elianne