[Sca-cooks] Sugar beets

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Mar 21 12:57:36 PST 2005

Also sprach SEBD at aol.com:

>Admantius writes:
>
>My  lady wife complains of the subset of Cantonese-style cooking to be
>>   found in Hong Kong: "Those people put sugar in EVERYTHING!!!" (Her
>>   family is probably from a whacking great 40 miles away to the north
>>  of  Hong Kong. ;-) )
>

>___________
>
>Your lady wife is correct, judging by most  of the Cantonese recipes I've
>ever read or cooked from. In twenty years, I don't  think I have
>seen a Cantonese
>stir-fried recipe that doesn't contain sugar.

Oh, I've seen, probably, thousands of them. It's things like dim-sum
houses purporting to employ a Hong Kong style where sugar as a
seasoning/flavoring seems to be particularly prevalent. Toysan
cookery (which is much of what we eat at home, and also a subset of
"Cantonese" cookery, albeit a lesser-known subset, even though there
was a time when most Chinese immigrants in the US were from Toysan)
is more likely to contain a multitude of salted ingredients, such as
chopped salt fish, salt ham, salt-preserved radish, turnips or
mustard knobs, etc. That's in addition to the various salty fermented
black beans, brown bean pastes, soy sauce, etc.

>   Steamed items without sauces
>don't generally have a sugar component, but  everything else seems to.
>
>It's probably OK, overall. They  don't eat the calorie laden desserts some
>Westerners consume.

True. There are probably also metabolic differences.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04