[Sca-cooks] Maybe OOP - Chinese Brown Sauce

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Mar 21 19:47:16 PST 2005

Also sprach Craig Jones:
>Alright... While you're there Mr. Smarty Pants...
>
>I doing the Broiled Chicken recipe for ASFTQ this weekend.  It uses
>'bean sauce'.  What would you use there?

Probably [warning: Mandarin alert, and I don't even pretend to try to
speak it] Yuan Shai Chi (whole brown bean paste -- brown bean paste
with whole beans) or Mo Yuan Chi (same thing, only ground up,
homogeneous brown bean paste). The Cantonese name would be more like
Men See.

There's also a rather remote (to my mind) possibility that it could
also be something akin to red bean curd cheese (this started life as
bean curd, drained, cut into cubes, and fermented in a brine until it
starts to break down to a sort of Camembert consistency and flavor).
I forget what the red kind is called, but the Cantonese call the
white kind Foo Yi or Foo Ngoy. It gets confusing because you can get
the white foo ngoy bean paste with chili flakes or without, but even
with the red chili flakes, it's still white bean curd cheese -- red
bean curd cheese has some kind of red mold culture added to it, I
think, that makes it a rather deep, brick red. I mention this because
they do figure in roast and barbecued meats. Southerners tend to
prefer the white stuff over the red.

On the other hand, given that ASFTQ gives a recipe for soy sauce that
produces an end result very much like brown bean paste, we can be
reasonably sure it's a flavor Yuan Dynasty people would have been
familiar with, and it does go well with meats of all kinds. I'd go
with brown bean paste until someone showed me the error of my ways...

>Drakey - off to Rowany Festival this weekend, and a campsite of
>pseudo-mongols.
>
>Ps.  My Mung Bean Wine came out great.  Much better than expected.  Like
>a strong traditional gruit Ale with a fruit back taste (from the Musk
>Melon) and quite hot/peppery from the Smartweed.  Very interesting
>indeed...

Very, very cool! Maybe you'd be willing to send your adapted recipe
with quantities, either to the list or privately? It sounds like
something I should bring to my friend Ateno's house... he's had
several years to recover from our various Ox bone wine debacles...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04