[Sca-cooks] Maybe OOP - Chinese Brown Sauce

SEBD at aol.com SEBD at aol.com
Tue Mar 22 03:49:46 PST 2005

In a message dated 3/21/05 10:30:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
adamantius.magister at verizon.net writes:

The other  sauce I described, the one that has that distinctively
caramelized taste  of dark roux, is something different. It's not even as
dark as the other  sauces we talked about; it may actually be based on dark roux,
but I haven't  encountered anyone who could verify or debunk  that.

What I am describing is probably Americanized Chinese glop from Queens, and
the recipe came from watching a Chinese cook make the stuff. I loathe it
cordially. For all I know, it *is* a kind of stir fry sauce, and for a long  time,
it has put me off egg fu young, but I collected the recipe to be  polite.

Do you remember where you tasted this dark rouxlike sauce?

Thanks,

Elianne