[Sca-cooks] Horseradish sauce

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Tue Mar 22 17:11:26 PST 2005

On Mar 22, 2005, at 7:55 PM, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> I'm doing a little project on horseradish, so I perused the
> Florilegium file.  I saw one recipe for a horseradish sauce with
> almonds and wine, posted by Urtatim (the Cook Formerly Known as
> Anahita).  It was supposedly from the Buch von Guter Speise, but I
> have searched the print translation by Melitta Adams, and the online
> translation by Alia Atlas, and I cannot find the recipe.

I didn't find one in Guter Speise, but there is one in Libre del Coch:

156. PARSLEY
You must take the parsley and remove the roots, and strip off the
leaves very well and clean it; and grind those leaves a great deal in a
mortar; and after it is well-ground, toast a crustless piece of bread,
and soak it in white vinegar, and grind it with the parsley; and after
it is well-ground, cast a little pepper into the mortar, and mix it
well with the parsley and the bread. And then cast in honey, which
should be melted, in the mortar, stirring constantly in one direction
until the honey incorporates itself with the sauce in the mortar; and
if the sauce should be very thick, thin it with a little watered
vinegar, so that it should not be very sour; and having done that, take
two smooth pebbles from the sea or river, and cast them in the fire;
and when they shall be quite ruddy and red, cast them with some tongs
in the mortar in such a manner that they are quenched there; and when
all this is done, taste it for flavor. And make it in such a manner
that it tastes a little of pepper, and a little sweet-sour, and of
parsley; and if any of these things is lacking, temper [the dish] with
it.

157. Sauce of Horseradish and of Clary Sage
In the same manner as the parsley, you can also make sauce from the
root of the horseradish. And the same from the leaves of clary sage.

- Doc