[Sca-cooks] Lent continues

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Mar 22 18:09:13 PST 2005

Hi, Christianna!
I'm doing the Lenten thing, too.  Guess that makes me one of the 6? <g>
At any rate, I'm sorry I haven't posted anything about what I'm doing,
but I've been completely caught up in some local issues, and haven't had
much time or energy to do any posting of value.
Since my persona is mid/late 14th c. (Irish), I'm using 14th c.
(English) sources--borrowed my friend Annys' copy of _Forme of Curye_,
plus I'm using a copy of _Ancient Cookery_ that I happen to have.  I
just bought groceries for everything last night, so today is my first
official foray into Medieval Lent, although I've been doing the
no-meat/no-dairy thing since Sunday.
These are the dishes I'm trying:
For breakfast, I'm doing Tostee (honey with wine and spices on toast),
and will be doing a frumenty using almond milk.  ISTR seeing a recipe
for sweetened almond milk in _To The King's Taste_, so if that checks
out, that's what I'll be using.
I'm trying a blancmanger with fish tonight, using cod, and a
cabbage-leek-onion potage.  Later this week, I'm doing another fish dish
that has a wine sauce (using salmon), Funges, and Rapes in Potage, using
Parsnips.  This weekend, I'm going to make one of those oyster/mussel
dishes and Lombardy rice.  If I feel so inclined, I'm also going to try
one of the recipes for pea pottage--keeping in mind the recent
discussions about period-appropriate peas, I decided to use dried green
split peas, rather than frozen fresh ones.
The lentil dish sounds very tasty! I'll have to keep it in mind <g>.  I
did find it interesting, though, that I didn't find a single recipe for
lentils in the two books that I'm using for my dishes...is this an
oversight on my part, do you think? Or were lentils just not common in
English usage in the 14th c?
I'm planning on writing this all up in some fashion, once I'm done, for
our local (baronial) newsletter, but it occurs to me that it might be
Tres Cool if the 6 or so of us wrote up something jointly, and submitted
to _TI_ or something.  (with a copy to Stefan, of course!) What do the
rest of you think?
--maire
p.s.  For the spiritual part, I'm sitting quietly every morning (sort of
a zen thing, I think).  For a charity, I'm donating money equal to what
I'm spending on groceries this week, to our local food bank.