[Sca-cooks] rock candy

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 22 23:49:48 PST 2005

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa answered my question with:
> >> 2. Anyone have a good recipe for "Rock Candy"?
> > Hmmm. Anyone know if this is period? Or if not, when it was first
> made?
>
> It's period. Recrystalizing sugar is part of the refining process, so
> when you whiten sugar you're recrystalizing it.
Hmmm. Okay, but when I think of "rock candy", I think of large crystals
of sugar and in sugar refining I'm not sure large crystals gain you
anything and they are more expensive since they take more time to
create. When I think of rock candy I think of strings left in saturated
sugar solutions and slowly cooled or left in the solution for multiple
days. since that is the way I remember making it as a child. But I
guess it could come down to what you consider "rock candy" to be.

> The mention of Sugar Candy I recall is in C. Anne Wilson, and it's one
> of the sickly young kings being fed rose sugar and violet sugar
> candies.

But were these large crystals of sugar or just a syrup of sugar formed
into shapes?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas