[Sca-cooks] rock candy

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Mar 23 10:55:10 PST 2005

Ok the better book to look this up in is Laura Mason's
Sugar-Plums and Sherbet. The Prehistory of Sweets.
(HINT-- it's available again Folks. Devra carries it in the
new paperback edition.)

Mason notes on page 95--
"The name 'rock' leads to more confusion. To nineteenth-century
confectioners, rock could mean pulled sugar, as in the modern
definition, but it could also mean rock candy, large crystals grown on
sticks in sugar solutions, or 'rock sugar', made from royal icing
foamed by the addition of hot syrup."

Earlier on page 66--
"Another specialized use of the word is in the term rock candy.
This is composed of large, semi-transparent crystals grown slowly
over a period of days on sticks or strings suspended in warm sugar
solution. These are huge versions of the crystals which form from sugar-cane
juice boiled down to a syrupy consistency, which are the stuff of
sugar loaves. It is not always clear from early recipes which sort of
candy they
refer to."

Johnnae

snipped