[Sca-cooks] Re: Rock Candy

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 23 09:03:51 PST 2005

Someone wrote:
> The mention of Sugar Candy I recall is in C. Anne Wilson, and it's one
> of the sickly young kings being fed rose sugar and violet sugar
> candies.

Stefan asked:
>But were these large crystals of sugar or just a syrup of sugar formed
>into shapes?

>From what I've read, these sugars were what we consider granulated sugars,
flavored with rose and violet.  I posted a recipe from PPC 20 a while back.
There are also "gobbets" of sugar which are cooked and sort of granular,
not hard candy.

Some of the problem is terminology.  Old cookery books refer to "rock
candying" flowers or spices which isn't made the same as what I knew as
"rock candy" as a child - huge chunks of hard candy crystals formed over a
string.

Alys Katharine