[Sca-cooks] Lent continues

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 22 07:41:03 PST 2005

Still no word from other Lenten fasters?  Aoghann and me, what about Lainie
and Urtatim?  I just re-read all the messages leading up to this idea, and
Lainie said there were 6 that had expressed an interest.  So, what's up?
I made my blancmange last night - and went ahead and used brown rice, more
because I try not to eat much white rice these days than anything else, and
I'm not serving this to anyone but me.  I cooked the brown rice in
commercial almond milk, salt, and ginger.  I poached some sole fillets in
almond milk and let them cool, then combined the cooled rice and fish.  It's
ok, blancmange is a bland dish anyway, so it's ok but not a real remarkable
dish.
I have recently discovered these little green French lentils that are
wonderful, I have some left over from last week that I cooked with carrots,
onions, and a few spices, with some shredded spinach stirred in at the end -
yum!  I have some shrimp thawed that I want to do something with, but other
than this mention - Shrympes - Harleian MS 4016 (Austin p. 103), I haven't
found anything I want to try with them yet.  Cooked porridge of mixed grains
and dried fruits with apple and grape juice for mornings.
For the spiritual side, I have done my stretching exercises each morning,
and I'm glad of the excuse of this fast to get me motivated to do them.  In
re-reading previous posts about this topic I've run across a concern though,
is one supposed to abstain from sex during Lent as well?  (I may have to get
an indulgence here... ;)
	But, I really want to hear what others are doing, part of this is to be
part of a community, right?
	Christianna