[Sca-cooks] Lent continues

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 22 09:22:18 PST 2005

From: <kingstaste at mindspring.com>
>Still no word from other Lenten fasters?  Aoghann and me, what about Lainie
>and Urtatim?  I just re-read all the messages leading up to this idea, and
>Lainie said there were 6 that had expressed an interest.  So, what's up?

Well, i've been bad and I haven't made Medieval food the past two days.

Sunday i had tuna salad with tahini for breakfast and sushi for
dinner (tuna, salmon, bbq eel, natto, and umeboshi-with-shiso-leaf).

Yesterday, i had home-fried potatoes with pesto for breakfast. Then
for dinner i boiled some pasta, drizzled it with olive oil. I didn't
have any spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce or tomato paste. Instead, i
mixed together very post-period Lebanese Muhammara and an Ajvar made
in Bosnia-and-Herzegovina.

The Muhammara is meant as a dip or spread for bread. It contains
walnuts, roasted red bell peppers, pomegranate concentrate, bread
crumbs, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and spices (which ones
not specified).

The Ajvar (the "j" is pronounced like a "y") is a condiment eaten
with meat or spread bread with feta. This particular version contains
red bell peppers, eggplant, sunflower oil, sugar, salt, vinegar,
garlic, and hot chilis. It's popular in lots of Balkan countries,
such as Serbia, Croatia, Makedonia, Bulgaria, Albania... Turkey...

Today i'm going to buy ingredients for some medieval recipes. I'm
planning to cook from The Book of the Description of Familiar Foods.
I'm looking forward to dinners of such dishes as Samak Maqlu
bil-Khall wal-Tahina, sliced fried fish pieces with vinegar-tahini
sauce, and the Lenten version of Maghmuma ("hidden"), layers of
onions, carrot coins, eggplant slices and fava beans, spiced with
ground coriander and roasted caraway seeds, and moistened with a
mixture of vinegar and murri, "boil until nearly done", then drizzled
with olive oil and sesame oil and topped with a thin flat bread
"until it settles".

This 14th century cookbook does say "Whenever dishes are cooked with
meat, similar dishes are cooked with vegetables without meat" and
lists a number of typical types of dishes, such as siqbaj. So I may
try a pasta recipe and any other dishes that look good, leaving out
the meat.

--
Urtatim, formerly Anahita