[Sca-cooks] Making Tomatoe Soup from Scratch

Alexa mysticgypsy1008 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 03:13:19 PST 2005

--- Ian Griffen <i_griffen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings to the cooks of the List
>
> I would like to make a tomatoe soup from scratch.
> How would I do it?  I would have to make a minium of
> 6 quarts.
>
> Thank you
>
> Ian Griffen

Greetings Ian,
Below you will find a Tomato Soup recipe.  I had
already figured out the conversions to serve 75, I
guess you could rework the numbers if needed.  If you
would like the original quantities, feel free to email
me as I have that one saved also.  It is from a modern
German cookbook that I have.  For the tomatoes, I have
used fresh that have been peeled and also I have used
canned.  Both come out very good.  It is a thick
soup-we served it in bread bowls.

Alexa

 Munsterland Tomato Soup with Bacon
Taken from “The New German Cookbook” page 134

26 oz double-smoked slab bacon (not too lean), cut
into 1/8-inch cubes (about 7 cups)
26 large yellow onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
13 large whole bay leaves
1/4 cup + 1 tsp marjoram, crumbled
2 tbsp dried leaf thyme, crumbled
45 ½ cups tomatoes
26 cups rich beef broth (preferably homemade)
3/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup + 1 tsp salt
3 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
6 ½ cups heavy cream
3/4 cup + 1 tbsp butter/margarine
2 cups minced flat-leaf parsley or fresh minced chives

Makes approx. 75 servings

Saute the bacon over moderate heat, stirring often, in
a medium-size heavy kettle until all drippings cook
out and only crisp brown bits remain- about 5 minutes.
 With a slotted spoon, lift the bacon bits to paper
toweling and reserve.
Add the onions, shallots, bay leaf, marjoram, and
thyme and saute 5 minutes, stirring often, until the
onions are glassy.
Reduce the heat to its lowest point, cover and steam
20 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, raise the heat to moderately low,
and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring often.
Mix in the broth and sugar.  Bring to a boil, adjust
the heat so the soup bubbles gently, then simmer,
uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring now and then; remove
and discard the bay leave.  Cool the soup 15 minutes,
then puree in batches in a food processor fitted with
the metal chopping blade for 15 to 20 seconds.  (For
an absolutely smooth, more elegant soup, force the
puree through a fine sieve).

Return, the soup to the kettle, add the salt, pepper,
and cream and bring slowly to servings temperature,
stirring now and then.  Add the butter and, as soon as
it melts, stir the soup well and ladle into soup
plates.  Sprinkle the chives and reserved bacon bits
over each portion and serve.