[Sca-cooks] Poured sugar

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 24 07:16:31 PST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Gedney <gedney1 at iconn.net>

in the florithingummy file on sugar that weas recently posted to the list, there was mention of a company selling food grade silicone molding supplies, which (I think) are suitable for working with pouring sugar (Though you should probably wait until after it cools some...  to where it is still thickly fluid but not bubbling or running any more. I dont know what the temperature cap is for this sort of  silicone.  I know that Silpats can handle sugar at "Hard Crack" temps, but it never hurts to err on the side of caution! Caution in sugar work is always a good idea... sugar can raise one NASTY burn)

Silicon baking dishes have become fairly common -- you can find them in kitchen stores.  There are loaf pans, muffin pans, etc.  Since they're meant to go into an over, they should surely handle melted sugar.

I LOVE Silpats.  They've taken most of the stress out of baking bizcochos (which, being made of eggs, sugar, and starch, are muchly inclined to stick like sweet barnacles to ordinary "nonstick" baking sheets).  I made honey-sesame candies for a recent dayboard, and used a tip I found on the Web -- I placed the ring of a springform pan on top of a Silpat mat, and poured the hot honey mixture into it.  When it was partially cooled, the ring and the mat pulled away quite easily, leaving a flat disc that I could cut into neat diamonds.

Better living (and cooking) through chemistry, I say!

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom