[Sca-cooks] Re:Sugar

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 24 21:20:19 PST 2005

Ardenia mentioned:
> I heated the ginger sugar to 225...and it started to harden before i
> even got the strings in, so I had to add water and try reheating it a
> bit higher
>    The rose sugar got up a bit higher(about 235) , and seemed to have a
> better chance
> The lavender sugar was in a metal pan, so ended up significantly
> hotter...260ish... so we'll see what kind of action we have when I ge
> home

Hmmm. Are you talking about melting the sugar in a pan by itself or
sugar added to water making a saturated or better, super-saturated
solution? It is my understanding, and my memories of making rock candy,
that you want a solution, not melted sugar. At least the rock candy I'm
thinking of, which are the large sugar crystals formed on strings or
other items.

While I remember always making this on strings hung in the solution, I
remember seeing in some gift/tourist shops wooden sticks covered with
layers of flavored sugar crystals. I think you were supposed to offer
these with tea or coffee or whatever and your guests could swirl the
stick in the drink to flavor and sweeten it.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com