Tangent: was, RE: [Sca-cooks] semi-topical: Good Friday dinner?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Mar 26 05:39:51 PST 2005

Also sprach Denise Wolff:
>For lunch, I had curried chicken. ( And I can't tell you how many
>people looked at me at work and told me I shouldn't be eating meat-
>assumptions are way off).
>
>I'll be practicing Lenten recipes for appropriate fasting days.

Up to you. Give my regards to the lake of fire ;-). But seriously,
people came up and gratuitously harrassed you about your lunch??? I
confess I haven't seen anything like that, at least based on some
religious reasoning, for maybe 30 years.

On the flipside of peculiar behavior, I am reminded of the tale of
(puts on best W.C. Fields voice, although I have no doubt this story
is true) the time my dear mother's childhood home was visited by the
kind gentlemen of the Ku Klux Klan, looking, as Headley Lamarr might
say, to stamp out runaway decency in Oceanside, Long Island. It seems
that in Oceanside in the 1920's, a major industry was fishing and
clam-digging, and these folks didn't get out much, and their pool of
eligible marriage partners was understandably small. Suffice it to
say that, while being a rural clam-digger (it was rural then, anyway)
by no means precludes intelligence, on this particular occasion it
doesn't seem to have naturally selected the genes for it. Do a Web
search for Jewish legends of the village/town of Chelm and you'll get
the idea. In case it matters, my mom's family wasn't from there;
they'd moved in from New Jersey in 1921 or so...

In any case, it seems some of the good men of Oceanside's bivalve
harvesting industry saw fit to fight the growing threat to the
American way of life by forming a local band of Knights of the Ku
Klux Klan, and looking around, saw no one to whom they might express
their all-consuming patriotism, minority groups of all kinds being in
the extreme minority. Luckily, one of them remembered a Catholic
family living nearby, one of highly suspicious Irish/German-American
lineage, so that evening, a visit was arranged to the home of this
family, who would no doubt be busy grazing papal bulls in the back
meadow, worshipping saints, doing a fine business in selling plenary
indulgences, voting for Al Smith, and generally being Catholic.

It was apparently a cool, rainy evening, and it seems they had a
little trouble getting and keeping the cross lit. There was some
commotion over that, and, the father of the family being absorbed in
Fitzgerald's translation of Omar Khayyam, the lady of the house went
out to see what all the fuss was about. It seems there were seven or
eight gentlemen in bedsheets trying to start a badly-laid campfire
outside, shouting peculiar ethnic and religious slurs.

My grandmother picked up a broom and surprised them by going on the
offensive, identifying each of them by name and insulting their
bedsheets, saying they should pay more attention to what their wives
thought, since they had obviously refused to take part in sewing or
washing the bedsheets. So, with a rather aggressive tongue-lashing,
she laid into the Klan with the broom, and in the end, they were
apologizing, stamping out bits of burning cross, and vowing they'd
never bother her family again. And please, Mrs. Brennan, you don't
need to discuss this with _Mrs._ Johnson, do you?

Finally, they were dismissed, and my grandmother told them, as they
limped away, "Tomorrow is Friday. Bring me around a quarter's worth
of clams."

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782