[Sca-cooks] Sugar updates

wildecelery at aol.com wildecelery at aol.com
Mon Mar 28 06:01:34 PST 2005

Stefan's Comment:

Okay. With the temperatures you were mentioning I didn't see how you
could have much if any water in there. That and because I thought there
was some comment about it solidifying solid. Apparently the addition of
sugar raises the boiling point of the water much higher than I expected
it to.

Since ideally what you want is a super-saturated solution, which is one
in which a lot of the sugar is kept in solution only because of the
elevated water temperature, I think the easiest way to accomplish this
is to continue to add sugar to the boiling water until it stops all
being dissolved. Then put in your strings, take the pot off the stove
and let the contents cool down.

The lavender...which I over heated to almost 300 and then added water
to...is so far the only one to begin the crystalizing
process...tonight's homework...to scrape the other two out of the jars,
reheat and try again.

-Ardenia