[Sca-cooks] Sugar updates

Mark S. Harris MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 28 22:52:27 PST 2005

Ardenia replied to me with:
> The lavender...which I over heated to almost 300 and then added water
> to...is so far the only one to begin the crystalizing
> process...tonight's homework...to scrape the other two out of the jars,
> reheat and try again.

I'm not at all sure why you might be having a problem with this. I did
do a quick search on "making rock candy" and turned up a large number
of recipes. Most of these seem to call for 2 cups of sugar for each cup
of water. Which is a bit higher than I would have expected. One did use
a 2 1/2 to 1 ratio. Also those that gave a temperature said 240-250
degrees F. They also seemed to give times of 3 to 5 days to let the
crystals form.

Stefan
(I wonder if you can make sugar-free rock candy? :-) )
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com