[Sca-cooks] Uses for rice flour?

Jane Boyko jboyko at magma.ca
Tue Mar 29 03:24:26 PST 2005

Take a look on the internet for other uses of rice flour.  For the past three
years I have cooked a feast for a group of people recreating 1638 England.
Since one of the women has some serious allergy issues I make one of many
different things so that she can enjoy almost the same product.  She is
allergic to any shape of wheat flour as well as sugar.  I can tell you it
makes for a very interesting cooking time to deal with substitutions.  I have
made pie shells and bread so far with the rice flour but not noodles though I
can buy rice noodles in Chinese grocery stores and I can buy pre-packaged
mixes for bread and other things using rice flour.  The textures are
different and it depends on the type of rice flour which is used.  I also
have had to add other products, such as potato starch etc, to the doughs to
get the correct consistency for baking.  For this particular type of recipe I
relied on the internet to give me the recipes I needed so that I didn't have
to experiment.

Marina