[Sca-cooks] Re: equivalents - OOP

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 29 09:52:42 PST 2005

Devra wrote:

>        I got this neat new book called 'Small Batch Baking', which is
>intended to let you make 2-3 muffins or 6 cookies or 2 small tarts - for people
>living alone, and that sort of thing.  I tried their Pineapple Upside Down Cake
>(which isn't as good as mine, IMHO) and noticed that what they had down was
>divide a normal recipe by 3.  Thus, 1/3 C sugar and flour instead of a cup, and 1
>egg yolk instead of 3 eggs.  So I'm thinking that I might try my own
>(superlative) PUSD Cake divided by three - much less guilt...
>     So, most of the divisions are easy and clear, but how do you divide 1
>teaspoon of baking powder, when there is no 1/3 t measuring spoon? I have 1/8,
>1/16, and 1/32 spoons, but my math won't work to convert. (They used 1/8 t
>baking soda, 1/8 t salt, and 4 T buttermilk instead of juice.)
>
>     1/4 plus 1/8?  a scant 1/2? 1/4 plus a pinch?

I would go with a heaping 1/4 teaspoon here.   That should take it close
enough from 0.25 to 0.33 tsp. I should think.  Baking powder is not so
sensitive that hundredths of a teaspoon matter all that much.

>Not being a spoon tease ---
>
>     My Mom's Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Just saying... YOU ROCK!  I'm always bemoaning the lack of transmission
of "grandmothers' recipes".

Selene