[Sca-cooks] Re: equivalents - OOP

Glenn A. Crawford tavernkeeper at phoenixroost.com
Tue Mar 29 10:20:43 PST 2005

>>     So, most of the divisions are easy and clear, but how do you divide 1

>>teaspoon of baking powder, when there is no 1/3 t measuring spoon? I have
>>1/8,
>>1/16, and 1/32 spoons, but my math won't work to convert. (They used 1/8 t

>>baking soda, 1/8 t salt, and 4 T buttermilk instead of juice.)
>>
>>     1/4 plus 1/8?  a scant 1/2? 1/4 plus a pinch?
>>

>I would go with a heaping 1/4 teaspoon here.   That should take it close
>enough from 0.25 to 0.33 tsp. I should think.  Baking powder is not so
>sensitive that hundredths of a teaspoon matter all that much.

And we all still stick to the imperial measurement system. Because of this
problem; I've been changing all my baking to the metric system and weighing
all ingredients. It is easier to scale up or down the recipes. It help that
I also run Chef Tec software. A bit pricey for private use, but handy for
your catering business.

Thanks again guys for letting lurk and put my 2 cents in now and again.

Glenn A. Crawford