[Sca-cooks] Re: equivalents - OOP

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 29 11:20:56 PST 2005

Glenn A. Crawford wrote:

>>>    So, most of the divisions are easy and clear, but how do you divide 1
>>>
>>>teaspoon of baking powder, when there is no 1/3 t measuring spoon? I have
>>>1/8,
>>>1/16, and 1/32 spoons, but my math won't work to convert. (They used 1/8 t
>>>
>>>baking soda, 1/8 t salt, and 4 T buttermilk instead of juice.)
>>>
>>>    1/4 plus 1/8?  a scant 1/2? 1/4 plus a pinch?
>>>

>>I would go with a heaping 1/4 teaspoon here.   That should take it close
>>enough from 0.25 to 0.33 tsp. I should think.  Baking powder is not so
>>sensitive that hundredths of a teaspoon matter all that much.
>>

>And we all still stick to the imperial measurement system. Because of this
>problem; I've been changing all my baking to the metric system and weighing
>all ingredients. It is easier to scale up or down the recipes.

That's a good theory but my metric spoons are 2.5, 5 and 15 ml,
respectively very close to 1/2 tsp., 1 tsp. and 1 Tbsp.  Those don't
help much for an equivalent for 1/3 teaspoon.

> It help that
>I also run Chef Tec software. A bit pricey for private use, but handy for
>your catering business.

OK I'll bite.  Tell us about Chef Tec software, or at least give us the
URL to check it our on our own.

Interested, Selene