[Sca-cooks] Cheesecloth

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 09:39:58 PDT 2005

Actually the type of cheesecloth sold in grocery
stores would be avoided by miles by any serious
cheesemaker.  The kind of cheesecloth that's used to
wrap cheeses, like bandaged cheddars, for long-term
aging are industrial cheesecloths.  If you have an
opportunity to try a bandaged cheddar in a reputable
cheese shop ask to see the cheesecloth that's used on
the cheeses, it's extremely sturdy and durable.  I buy
mine by the bolt from my local hippy fabric store, but
then I use lots and lots of it when I teach classes
and make my own cheeses.

I also use linen teatowels and have been known to use
a clean pillowcase in a pinch.

Eibhlin the cheese-geek

>Agreed -- the stuff sold in most American
supermarkets at
"cheesecloth" is all but useless, especially for
making cheese!

The supermarket kind of cheesecloth is so named
because it's the stuff
that hard cheese is wrapped in for aging.  I generally
use muslin,
either from the fabric store, or sheets from the
thrift shop
(well-washed and sanitized).  I've also used "flour
sacking" kitchen
towels from Walmart.

--
Brighid ni Chiarain