[Sca-cooks] Period Tomatoes

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 14:58:15 PDT 2005

His/her reply to that was that Modern Western sources were notoriously biased toward Western sources, and did not look toward more Eastern sources.  He/she claims that the determination that tomatoes were originally from Peru was made by a Soviet researcher based on the number of indigenous species.
Aw, shucks, I'm juist gonna call him he.
He is sadly lacking in coherent logic.  I would guess that he considers a Soviet researcher a Western source.  At any rate, he is very good at picking up only what he wants to learn from a source.  For instance, the paper he cites compares the number of different Heirloom cultivars, not the number of "indigenous" species.  And the science behind it is suspect.

I wonder where the Author of Gerard's got the notion that they were of New World origin if he didn't have a Soviet to tell him.

Mordonna

Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
Joy.

If the English got tomato from the Turkish "domatesli," why does the OED
(which does detailed work on English word origins) have it from Nahautl via
Spanish? The fact that a Turkish language instructor says that "tomato"
derives from Turkish does not make it so. Without supporting documentation,
this is a single point of reference, making it of questionable validity.

Bear