[Sca-cooks] Menu Challenge!!!!!!!!

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Nov 3 11:34:21 PST 2005

> Can you come up with a whole week's worth of menus (7 days, B/L/D, snacks
> optional), *just* with what you've got in your kitchen/pantry/garden/freezer
> out in the garage? Bonus bragging rights for use of period recipes,
> naturally.

So, here's mine for our Family of 4, with 1 picky eater. Of course this
is cheating as I shop weekly and besides, I came home with lots of
leftovers from Christopher's feast. Perhaps Sarah has some suggestions
for more period stuff. The menus here aren't completely South-Beach safe
either.

Note: period items marked with *
Day 1:
Breakfast:
Cold cereal with milk

Lunch:
Salami sandwiches
Pickles
Tomato soup

Dinner:
Pork chops
millet cooked with chicken broth *
De Nola's Chopped Spinach (spinach with almond milk, bacon and cheese)*
canned corn for Becky

Day 2:
Breakfast
cold cereal with milk for Becky,
Warmed-up almond milk frumenty with syrup and butter for everyone else*

Lunch:
Spinach salad with salami and other cold cuts, olives
Chicken broth
Matzoh for Becky
Grapes

Dinner:
White bean soup with pork
Pork 'chop' for Becky (cut off pork roast used in bean soup)
mushroom barley (defrosted from freezer hoard)*
Side of spinach salad*

Day 3:

Breakfast:
Cold cereal with milk

Lunch:
Salami sandwiches or yogurt
Left over Chopped Spinach de nola
wedge of cheese food
bean soup

Dinner:
Broccoli Rabe, steamed
Grilled Chicken Breasts
Green sauce made with vinegar, parsley, onions and garlic *
warmed-up leftover savory toasted cheese *
Rice for Becky

Make bread today.

Day 4:
Breakfast:
Cheese toast for Becky
Fried/scrambled eggs for everyone else *
Bacon

Lunch:
Yogurt or Salami sandwiches
Dried fruit or nuts
Wedge of cheese
Apple

Dinner:
Hamburgers
Fried onions
Frozen peas for Becky
Spinach sauteed with garlic*

Day 5:
Breakfast:
Cheese toast for Becky
Oatmeal for everyone else (with dried fruit if they want it)*

Lunch:
Yogurt or Salami sandwiches
Apple
Sauteed spinach, warmed over

Dinner:
Lentil puree with cheese and egg*
Braised Red cabbage and beets
Hot dogs for Becky
Frozen green beans

Day 6:
Breakfast:
Salami sandwich for Becky
Eggs with onion or scalions for everyone else*

Lunch:
Pepperoni and rice for Becky
Leftover lentil puree or canned soup
Leftover cabbage and beets
leftover green beans

Dinner:
Turkey
Roasted onions and carrots*
Bulgur wheat
boiled garlic*
Cranberry relish

Day 7:
Breakfast:
French toast sticks for Becky
Oatmeal for everyone else

Lunch:
Onion soup with beef broth
Leftover turkey
Leftover bulgur wheat
Random green stuff, probably frozen peas/green beans

Dinner:
Cabbage with kielbasa *
Barley *
Frozen fish for Becky
Frozen peas

Whole week:
Snacks:
Cheese wedges
Dried fruit and nuts
matzoh with butter
Popcorn

Desserts:
baked pears, warmed over with syrup
Low-fat ice-cream novelties or freeze-bars

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase