[Sca-cooks] Question, late period Dutch - Pancakes

Jenn Strobel jenn.strobel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 15:23:24 PST 2005

On 11/3/05, Barbara Benson <voxeight at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am working with a friend on building a printing press.
>
> Yes, I know, how is this relavent? Well, he came across the following
> quote:
>
> "This Plaster of Paris it tempered fair with Water to the consistance
> of Batter for Pancakes, or somewhat thicker...."
>
> regarding setting the marble slab into plaster of paris. Unless we
> have a better understanding of period Dutch Pancakes - we are kind of
> in the dark here.
>
> So, I was wondering if anyone out there could shed some light on this
> subject. Dutch is not one of the areas I have much understanding of.
> But I believe I remember some good gentles here that have looked into
> the culture.

Pancake batter isn't really described as being any particular consistancy.
They just give directions for what to put together to make them (and there
are several types). If you look at some pictures of pancakes in Dutch
pictures (example: "the Pancake Maker" from a follower of Nicolaes Maes),
you will notice that they seem to be like more solid pancakes than what we
have now. The ingredients seem to be flour, butter, eggs, and either milk,
cream, or water and then fried in butter. Which would definately give you a
thicker product.

I hope that answers your question.

Odriana vander Brugge

-Frank Zappa