[Sca-cooks] Menu Challenge!!!!!!!!

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Nov 4 19:31:35 PST 2005

>>snipped Can you come up with a whole week's worth of menus (7 days,
>>B/L/D, snacks
>>optional), *just* with what you've got in your kitchen/pantry/garden/freezer
>>out in the garage? Bonus bragging rights for use of period recipes,
>>naturally.snipped
>>--Maire,

I thought of this as siege cooking, with many meals and just what I
have on hand.  I have shamelessly stolen, err.. used recipes from
this list, especially Anahita, Brighid, and Helewyse).

The freezer has lots of shrimp (buy one get TWO free!), half a
salmon, a piece of catfish, spinach, peas, raspberries and sour
cherries, artichoke hearts.  The fridge has half a cauliflower, a box
of mushrooms, cottage cheese, two gallons of milk, 3 doz eggs,
butter, fontina, asiago, mozzarella, cheddar and feta, a pomegranate,
pears, apples, carrots, fresh spinach, lemons, 2 cukes, half a
honeydew melon, grapes, an open bottle of red wine, beer

The pantry has a big bag of flour, sugar, honey, oatmeal, hulled
barley, chickpeas and chickpea flour, rice flour, dried pasta, split
peas, almonds, walnuts, pistachios and pinenuts, dried cherries,
dried apricots, a jar of morello cherries, a jar of grape leaves, a
can of beets, canned tuna, olives, onions, garlic, fresh ginger, red
wine vinegar, cider vinegar, sherry vinegar, olive oil, canola oil,
dried spices and herbs.
On the counter is a pot of fresh basil and a jar of starter.

I'd buy tuna fillet, oranges, cabbage, endive, celery and dates

Just thinking about this much cooking makes me tired.. and very very hungry!
Ranvaig

	Sunday
breakfast: Waffres (Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books xxiiij), Raspberries
lunch: White Sals (Kitab al-Tabikh - walnut dip), Kollis Fioris
(Rumpolt 47), olives, sliced cukes, bread
supper: Cazuela de Salmon (De Nolo 182), Arroz en cazuela al horno
(De Nolo 58), Spinach salad, Oranges of Xativa Which are Cheesecakes
(De Nolo 105 - cheese fritters)

	Monday
breakfast: Oats cooked in milk (Rumpolt 94), honey and apples
lunch: Stuffed eggs (Anonimo Veneziano XLVII), bread, grapes
supper:  Shrimp with butter and verjuice (Rumpolt 11), rice, Salad
with Pomegranate (Rumpolt 94), Sour cherry tart (Welserin 130)

	Tues
breakfast: Payn purdyeu (An Ordinance of Potage 110), dried cherries
(Rumpolt 120), and honey
lunch: Jannaniyya the gardener's dish (Anon. Andul. vegetables and
greens cooked with eggs),  bread
supper: Panis (bread), Moretum (cheese with garlic), Ius cum Ovis
Hapalis (Apicus - eggs with nut sauce), Aliter Carduos (Apicus -
artichokes), Ius in Cordulla Assa (Apicus - tuna in date sauce),
Boletos (Apicus - mushrooms), Erebinthoi Knakosymmigei ([Piloxenus
-Saffron chickpeas),  cabbage in honey vinegar (Oribasius), Mustei
(Cato - must cakes), melon

	Wed
breakfast: Ovos mexidos (A Treatise of Portuguese Cuisine - sweet
eggs on bread)
lunch: Chickpeas cooked with onions, honey & spices (from an
Inquisition testimony, reproduced in A Drizzle of Honey),  bread,
oranges
supper:  Shrimp,  Relish for crayfish or lobster (Anonimo Veneziano
LXXXVII), De Nola Torta de Zanahoria (Carrot Pie - Diego Granado,
Libro del Arte de Cozina),  bread, rice pudding (Welserin 105) with
pomegranate and pistachios

	Thurs
breakfast: Herb omelet in lent (Anonimo Veneziano XXXVI), Marvelous
and good walnut bread (Anonimo Veneziano LVIII)
lunch: Pea soup (Rumpolt 4), bread and cheese
supper: Ravioli (Welserin 31 or Anonimo Veneziano LXIII), mushroom
tart (Anonimo Veneziano XCVIII),  Endive salad salad (Rumpolt 1),
sauteed pears  (Rumpolt 22)

	Friday
breakfast:  To make filled Semmel (Welserin 56)
lunch: Torta from Red Chickpeas (using apricots instead of figs and
raisins), salad
supper:  To make a fish pastry (Welserin 64), white cabbage on a fast
day (Rumpolt 118), Red beet salad  (Rumpolt 29), bread, Stauben of
Apples (Rumpolt 42)

	Sat
Leftovers!!!!!