[Sca-cooks] Cuisine Styles

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 16:36:41 PST 2005

kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

>	Here's my list so far after my preliminary brainstorming (and no actual
>research):
>
>1	Intro to Cuisine Styles - American Regional Cuisines
>a.	Vegetables – lettuce, carrots
>b.	Starches - corn, potato
>c.	Seasonings – catsup, Tobasco
>d.	Meats – beef, shellfish

What about sweet peppers?

>2.	Italian
>a.	Vegetables – tomato, garlic
>b.	Starches – pasta,
>c.	Seasonings – basil, oregano, rosemary
>d.	Meats – preserved meats (pork)

You might include polenta as a pasta

>3	French
>a.	Vegetables – leeks, shallots
>b.	Starches - bread
>c.	Seasonings – tarragon,
>d.	Meats - duck

as a meat...veal? I know that the way it's raised causes problems for a
number of people, but it is a classic French meat.

>4	Traditional Holiday Fare
>a.	Vegetables – chestnuts, what is a traditional vegetable dish that could
>b.	Starches – turnips?
>c.	Seasonings – cinnamon, ginger
>d.	Meats – large roasts

For starches, I would consider sweet potatoes and/or a dressing...maybe
a chestnut and sausage one. Most of your kids are probably more familiar
with cornbread stuffing/dressing, so this would be something new. For
meats, either turkey or ham...or possibly even goose.
Hummm...veggies....Looked this up in several cookbooks with Victorian
references. Found things with turnip greens, spinach, hominy,
cabbage...in fact there were a couple of references to a cabbage
pudding! In one book, this looked more like a stuffed cabbage...stuffed
with a veal forcemeat.

>5	Chinese
>a.	Vegetables – bok choy, mushrooms
>b.	Starches – wheat, rice,
>c.	Seasonings – fresh ginger, star anise,
>d.	Meats - pork

Peanut oil, sesame oil, and of course, that old stand-by, soy sauce.

>6	Japanese, Thai, & Other
>a.	Vegetables – sea vegetables,
>b.	Starches - rice
>c.	Seasonings – miso, fish sauce
>d.	Meats - fish

I'd consider maybe cucumber, and, if you can get them, maybe the
Japanese plums. Again, you must have soy sauce and, as a seasoning, wasabi.

>7	African
>a.	Vegetables – yams, millet, peanuts
>b.	Starches – cous cous, enjera
>c.	Seasonings –
>d.	Meats - lamb
>
>8	Spanish
>a.	Vegetables – artichoke, olive,
>b.	Starches - rice
>c.	Seasonings – saffron
>d.	Meats - chicken
>
>9	Vegetarian
>a.	Vegetables –
>b.	Starches – winter squash
>c.	Seasonings – soy sauce/tamari,
>d.	Proteins – tempeh, tofu, food combining
>

>10	Caribbean
>a.	Vegetables –akee,
>b.	Starches - green bananas & plantains, casava
>c.	Seasonings – ‘jerk’, peppers, sugar
>d.	Meats – oxtail, goat

Hope this helps a bit...

Kiri