[Sca-cooks] Gunthar's Adventures with Sugar plate (very long, grab some tea and a scone...)

Heather M margaretnorthwode at frontiernet.net
Mon Nov 7 21:09:09 PST 2005

Michael Gunter wrote:

> <snip>But cleaned
> the kitchen, the counter, the sink, the floor, the non-existent cat, my
> houseplants and my truck parked outside of the remaining goo. It
> had a disturbing habit of giggling as I scraped it up.

BWWWAAAAhahahaha! OMG! I think I broke me. ROFL!

Oh, but Sir, Your Excellency, O Guthar, you have spared the life of a
damsel (sorta) who would've been in distress. The wierdness is that I'd
not yesterday come across a section in _The Knights Next Door_, wherein
Dame Alys (waves) takes up period sugarplate. I had never heard of this
before, being a n00b in the ways of Real Period Cooking, and thought it
sounded Spiff and Nifty To Try. I'd been thinking of playing with
sugarplate for 12th Night. I think maybe I'll save the sugarplate for
practicing FIRST and try something less complex for 12th Night and build
a 6' tall Caerlaverock castle out of porcine meatloaf or aspic, and -

Hey! Something occurs to me. D'you know what the humidity of the day
was? I know that Dayown Sayowth, we're supposed to pick a good, low
humidity day to make divinity. Failed divinity can always be blamed on
the humidty, that way, and is justification for breaking out the silver
mint julep cups. I'd think that high humidity would sufficiently mess
with the sugar to muck things up a good bit. I'm unfamiliar with the
particular effects that the tragacanth gum would throw in the mix, though..

Never made failed divinity, which is good, since I don't own ANY mint
julep cups, much less silver ones,
Margaret (Mah-greht) Northwode (Narthwoohd>