[Sca-cooks] Knives - sharp side in?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Nov 10 23:04:06 PST 2005

Am Freitag, 11. November 2005 04:38 schrieb kingstaste at mindspring.com:
> I was getting ready for a class tonight at Viking, and the Class Manager
> had set the table.  The Culinary School Manager came in and asked him if he
> had taken Dining Room in culinary school yet, and proceeded to correct his
> table setting.  In the process, I heard "in the middle ages they put it
> that way to assure the other person you wouldn't stab them".  "What?" says
> I.  He repeated: "the practice of placing the edge of the knife facing in
> towards the plate dates from the Middle Ages, and it was meant to reassure
> your dining partner that you were not going to slice or stab them".  He
> said he was taught this in Culinary History at Johnson and Wales.  I said
> that I had never run across that particular one in all of the dining
> etiquette books I had read from the Middle Ages and Renaissance.  I thought
> I would run it by here - anyone heard of this one?

Heard, yes, but I believe the concern over the health of fellow diners goes
back to the Early Modern pertiod, rather. After all, it is in the seventeenth
centuries that table knives lose their stabbing point. From all depictions I
recall, medieval table settings even in the wealthier households were not
governed by any such rules until very late. Most interestingly, what you most
commonly see is a single knife lying on the table that seems to be for
communal use. We can assume the diners also brought their own smaller ones,
but these are not usually visible (IIRC Tannhäuser suggests putting it away
when not using it).

Wjhy would I want to stab anyone at the dinner table in a society where it is
still legal to kill people in open hand-to-hand combat?

Giano