[Sca-cooks] cheese for making armor

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 11 08:31:09 PST 2005

>> Kiri commented:
>>
>>> I have tried it with cheddar, but find that the flavor is too
>>> strong and
>>> sort of drowns out the flavor of the turnips and seasonings.
>>

>> And drowning out the flavor of the turnips is a bad thing??? :-)
>>
>> Actually in the same file that Lonnie mentions (turnips-msg) there
>> is  a bunch of commentary on choosing the turnips and/or treating
>> them to reduce the bitterness of the turnip taste. I've never been
>> served any though that didn't have that taste.
>>
>> Stefan

I can relate the secret to success with turnips right now.  Peel it
THICKLY and don't fret about apparent wastage.  If you cut a turnip
crosswise, you can see a slightly darker circle just inside of the skin,
an "orle" if you are a herald.  This layer and everything outside of it
is the bitter part.  Cut it off and the rest of the root is juicy-sweet.
 I promise, you won't regret trying this.

Meanwhile, back at the specific topic... I like Emmenthal and mild
Cheddar for this recipe.  Provolone is a good idea, I'll try that next.

Selene, making turnip believers all the time
selene at earthlink.net