[Sca-cooks] cheese for feast

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Sat Nov 12 12:09:58 PST 2005

I have been finding really good cheese buys at Sam's Club. I just picked
up a 2lb ball of Edam cheese for $4.68, and it's pretty good cheese.
They also had a 3lb cylinder of Smoked Gouda for $8. Right after
Christmas, last year, they had l lb balls of Cheddar, Port, and Gouda
for $2 each. I have also gotten a really nice 1lb black wax covered
cylinder of Beer cheese. They also have good prices on blocks of things
like Cheddar, Montery Jack, and such.

I prefer to serve good cheeses unsliced (or with a few slices pre-cut),
especially at table. Those who appreciate cheese are more than willing
to slice off a piece, indeed, I think it adds to the experience.
Ambivalent cheese eaters are less likely to eat it just because it is in
front of them. This way, I get to please those who will appreciate the
cheese (by serving good cheese) but not wasting it on those that don't
really care. (and I don't buy as much) Actually, more than once I have
been told "really nice array of cheeses" or somesuch, even by those who
don't eat much of it.

Anyway, I served just over 250 folks a Traveler's Fare at Castle Wars
last year. Two soups, breads, cheeses, and spice cakes. I used 8 pounds
of hard cheese, and 5 pounds of soft, spreadable cheese (cream cheese
that I flavored four different ways). I had about 2 lbs of each left
over that went to a vigil and also part of a lunch the following day.

2 lbs of Montery Jack
2 lbs of White Cheddar (yeah, I know, cheddaring ain't period)
2 lbs of Port Cheese (I have an idea this isn't period either)
2 lbs of Beer Cheese

The Port cheese was in green wax and the Beer cheese was in black wax,
so they made for a nice display. I only put half of each out at a time,
since for this kind of meal, everyone does not eat at once. Oh, I also
take the rectangular blocks of cheese and cut them on the diagonal for
serving. That makes two nice wedges. If you cut your "tempting slices"
strategically from the flat end, the result is a nice looking wedge.

Pax,
Aoghann
(who is off now to get another piece of that Edam cheese)