[Sca-cooks] Indian Maize in Italy in period??????

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Nov 13 07:32:15 PST 2005

Grise may not have a period recipe for Maize but there's one
in Scappi. See Chap. 70v  359 of the Forni facsimile.
That would date it in print to 1570.

The early adoption of maize and its use in polenta in the 16th century
is ably discussed
in Capatti and Montanari's volume Italian Cuisine A Cultural History.
It's published by Columbia University Press.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

David Friedman wrote:

> Do you have any period recipes for it? David/Cariadoc

Thank you, all....  As far as I'm concerned, I can have 'indian maize'  AKA
'corn' in present day american parlance as a part of my feast for
Academy of Defence, and defend it.  Yes!  The menu just got a bit
easier...  not to
mention more colorful.

in service (and giggling)

Grise