[Sca-cooks] Armored Turnips, was OT: Frying Cheese

Dianne & Greg Stucki goofy1 at suscom.net
Mon Nov 14 03:07:24 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise" <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 12:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Armored Turnips, was OT: Frying Cheese

>> Not sure if Fontina is period (though I suspect it would be), but that
>> is a fairly sweet soft cheese that would melt and do the job quite
>> nicely...I may have to try AT with that.
>
> It's quite good.
>
> I have to ask... of the people who peel and slice before cooking, why do
> you do it that way?
>
> The two recipes I've tried both call for cooking first, and I'm lazy
> enough to believe in it...

Well, I cooked them first, but I can see a case for peeling before
cooking--when they come out of the water, they're hot, they're slippery, and
they're not fun to handle. Next time, I will probably peel them before
cooking, but I'll slice them afterwards. I just need to learn to be slightly
less impatient..

Laurensa