[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving SCA style

Heather M margaretnorthwode at frontiernet.net
Fri Nov 18 08:44:52 PST 2005

Michael Gunter wrote:

>> and snag one of
>> the Hutterite turkeys they'll be selling on Monday morning.
>

> Ooooh. I want one of those! I wish Dallas had a good Amish/Shaker/
> Hutterite etc....community where I could get decent meats.

We have a local Mennonite community, and so does the town my mom and
grandparents live in, but they're not know for their meats at all.
Peanut brittle, yes, marvelous sourbread, yes, but not meats. Is this
regional, perhaps? I know that few of the local community even raise
turkeys. There's a CSA farm that raises them - and they're *huge*! I
made one for the feast I did in October  and it was so large that with
the rack set lowest I still had to cut off the legs (so I also cut off
the wings) to get it in my normal-sized overn! Very, very tasty.

> <snip>
> This year sounds a lot more fun. I'll be bringing Sebrina Welserin's
> Cinnamon Tart instead of Pumpkin Pie.

::smacks forehead:: *That's* what I can do. Thank you, Gunthar. My
family's tastes are *very* regionally-restricted (southeast), and I've
had a hard time finding something especially period that they'd like
that's not also modern, like roasted $flesh. But that would be perfect,
I'm familiar with the recipe already, it's easy, it travels well, and no
one in the fam has a dietary restriction against the ingredients - and I
have all the necessary ingredients at hand. Oooh, and I can save the
yolks for a coddle for me and Sigurd. :)

To add to it's appeal: it's not deviled eggs. One year, when we didn't
have great communication, three separate families made LARGE plates of
deviled eggs. Naturally, there were NONE brought the next year.

> The men will be in the kitchen
> while the womenfolk lounge in the living room watching football.
> (Well, Alys will probably come in and help.)
>
> Gunthar

We tend to just lounge around all over the house at my family's. I doze,
the kids play a lot, and then Meg sleeps well on the return trip.

Margaret Northwode