[Sca-cooks] Broth - the making

Betsy Marshall betsy at softwareinnovation.com
Fri Nov 25 06:44:15 PST 2005

Another option- head down to the meat dept and ask for Oxtails- just made a
sauce for the projected beef Wellington, had to hit three different stores
to get them, one meat dept gentleman when asked what might substitute (soup
bones, stew meat?) replied "there is no substitute." The sauce recipie had
me roast them 50 min, boil with wine reduction, water, and broth; then
simmer 3-4 hrs.; strain and discard the solids (actually I kept the meat
bits- for a peasant pate) yum sauce- tho this batch might need a bit more
reduction to be more sauce-y than soup-y.

For just regular broth, I put all ingredients in a stock pot, boil, then let
it simmer overnight on the low setting. With lid- cuts down on the fluid
loss!
HTH Betsy