[Sca-cooks] Report on Thanksgiving experiments...OP

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 26 13:18:54 PST 2005

Nick Sasso wrote:

>A.  If you turn that turkey over (breast up) for the last 30 to 45 minutes,
>you'll get some browning/crisping on the breast skin to go with that moist
>flavor.
>
>B.  How's chances of getting the pumpkin cheesecake recipe to put in the
>great crust?
>

>niccolo difrancesco

We found that following Alton Brown's directions for brining, then
searing the turkey at 500 for the first half hour, finally putting an
aluminum foil "breastplate" molded to fit the turkey breast exactly
(done before putting the bird into the oven in the first place) made it
so that, even though we cooked the bird breast up, we got the moistest
turkey ever.

Kiri