[Sca-cooks] Where to eat while in East Chicago IL

Jean Jones boo_28043 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 8 02:29:11 PDT 2005

Greetings!

I've been lurking on the cook's list for several months now, enjoying the witty reparte and wealth of knowledge shared so freely.  As I'm very new to SCA and period cooking, this list has provided me with invaluable information although sometimes overwhelming in it's volume!  I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

My husband recently has picked up the supervision of another truck driving school, this time in East Chicago IL, he will be traveling there about once every month and a half for about a week.  His first trip will be Monday, two coworkers from the home office will also be flying in for the week.  All  three are on corporate expense accounts with rental cars.  My husband has asked me to tap into the wealth of knowledge I have at my disposal to find them several good restaurants to eat at.  He likes almost anything from Chinese, Japanese, Steak, Ribs, Chicken, Seafood, Mexican, Italian, country style home cooking, good NY or NJ style diner food, just nothing too over the top frou-frou.  Moderately priced, he has been known to spend upwards of $70 on dinner for two with drinks while on expense account.  I know like every city of any size there is the standard chain restaurant fare but I'd love to hear about some smaller regionally known restaurants or chains that offer good food.  He
 does enjoy food and the quality of food he's able to find while on his many trips basically determines in some part for him if it's been a good trip or not.  I try to spoil him with good cooking at home to make up for all the restaurant fare he is forced to eat while traveling.  He normally has his breakfast at his hotel then has lunch and dinner out.  His school is located at:  4400 Homerlee Ave., East Chicago, IN

I would truly appreciate any suggestions you may have for good places to eat and should that prove difficult I'd happily pass along a list of places not to eat.  Feel free to contact me off list as I know this topic is of no real interest to anyone other than myself and dear husband.

Many thanks for all the wonderful sharing on this list!  And thanks in advance for any help.

Jean in Spartanburg SC