[Sca-cooks] To oil or not to oil?

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 2 10:59:00 PDT 2005

I wouldn't use linseed oil.  You might go with something like lemon oil or
even canola or soy oil.  The butter will permeate the wood eventualy anyway.
Yes, we had butter molds as part of our pre-industrial culture.  Probably
from German and other European immigrants.  What sorts of designs did you
find?
Christianna

Salvete

I've returned victorious from a flea market expedition, having secured a
very
cheap set of wooden butter moulds (one for about a pund, the other for
individual plate setting patties).

(Do you have butter moulds in the US? Basically, it's a wooden mould with
decorative patterns into which the butter is pressed, then turned out onto a
plate. The small patty version even has an ejection mechanism. This used to
be popular in Germany, though it's hardly ever done these days)

My question: The previous owner used these purely for decoration. If I plan
use them for real, should I oil them before their first use? And if so,
would
linseed oil be acceptable?

Thanks

Giano