[Sca-cooks] a sampling of ancient Roma

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Oct 3 03:20:04 PDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 12:39 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Aurelia said:
>
>> These are the recipes I am planning for an upcoming meal with ancient
>> Roman reenactors in my area.  I hope you enjoy them!
>>
>> (Gustatio)
>>

> Thanks. But I'm confused. Are you Aurelia? Or Gustatio? Or is the
> latter not a name? Or is one for your Roman reenactment group and
> Aurelia is your SCA name?

Someone named Aurelia is presumably female, so her name probably
wouldn't end in an "o". Unless someone stated otherwise, I'd assume,
taken somewhat out of context as it is here, that the word "Gustatio"
is being used to designate the first, or "appetizer" or "aperitif"
course of a Roman dinner. Usually salads, boiled eggs with a sauce,
things with anchovies, that sort of thing. Generally the course that
follows is the prima mensa, which can get confusing, as it is sort of
like following hors d'oeuvres with a first course.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04