[Sca-cooks] Re: a sampling of ancient Roma

Aurelia Coritana aurelia_coritana at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 06:09:32 PDT 2005

Salve Stefan,

'Gustatio' refers to the appetizer course. I think I may have used several other terms in that email without defining them, too!  'Primae Mensae' = the main course, 'Secundae' = desserts.

The beet recipe came from www.romans-in-britain.org.uk, a site that is not very upfront about its sources, but that I have found to be reliable for my purposes.  You're right that it doesn't specify beet roots, although I suppose I made that assumption based on some of the instructions.  I've seen photos of others' attempts at this dish as well, using roots, although I admit that is not definitive.

Since I won't be making this until next week, I will surely let you know where I find the raisin wine.

~Aurelia

Message: 9